The Cake Tutor – Children’s Classic Baking Course
Time & Location
About the Event
A fun workshop designed to give children a basic understanding of two classic baking techniques. Each child will learn how to bake the classic Victoria sponge cake and a delicious all butter shortbread.
This is a hands on practical workshop at the end of which your child will take home all the products they have created. All ingredients and equipment will be supplied. We just ask that you bring along a container to carry your products away.
Skills acquired during this workshop will include,
- Creamed sponge cake method.
- How to make a filing cream and then flavour this to individual taste.
- How to test if a cake is baked and using the oven in a safe manner.
- Filling a cake with jam and filling cream using a piping bag.
- How to make all butter shortbread using the rubbed method and giving explanation of how this recipe can be adapted to make lots of interesting sweet treats.
- How to change the recipe and flavour to individual taste.
- How to test if shortbread is baked.
- Presentation skills of your hand made products.
A Bit About Sally
My name is Sally Davis. For as long as I can remember I have loved to bake and decorate cakes so when I left school I decided to study patisserie and cake decorating at bakery college for three years. After finishing college I set up and ran a successful bakery and tea rooms with my family in Woodstock. Some years later I decided to branch out and set up The Cake Shop in the Covered Market Oxford with a view to concentrate on cake decorating. The business went from strength to strength and soon I opened a second branch in Banbury and moved to larger premises in Oxford.
I am proud of my achievements at The Cake Shop and over the years made cakes for thousands of people with many of them coming back year after year. We even had a visit from HRH The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall. My speciality lies in themed cakes that incorporate three-dimensional modelling of people, vehicles and animals as well as novelty shaped cakes. I am also an accomplished baker and love to pass on my knowledge to budding young chefs.